Trial and Appellate Solutions
Stephen P. Ellingson
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Trademark Infringement
- Trade Secret Misappropriation
- Unfair Competition
- Business Practices
- Technology Licenses and Other Agreements
- Contract Disputes
- Insurance Bad Faith
Steve Ellingson's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and intellectual property matters. He represents software, internet, manufacturing, and other technology companies in disputes involving trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, copyright, counterfeiting electronic components and consumer goods, defamation and trade libel, statutory and common law unfair competition and business practices, breach of technology license agreements and other contract disputes. Steve has trial and appellate experience in state and federal court, and has litigated trademark disputes in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
In addition to his litigation experience, Steve counsels clients on trademark clearance matters and prosecution of trademark applications in the USPTO. He also counsels clients and negotiates a wide variety of transactions in the technology sector, including software and other technology licensing agreements.
Steve has also represented corporate clients in litigation involving employment matters, including executive compensation, discriminatory hiring practices, wrongful termination and hostile work environment complaints. He also handles extra-contractual insurance coverage litigation, including advertising injury coverage for intellectual property claims and other claims for casualty coverage.
Recently, Steve was named to Northern California Super Lawyers for business litigation and intellectual property. He is admitted to practice before all courts of the State of California, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. He is a member of the Federal Bar Association, San Mateo County and Santa Clara County Bar Associations, and the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
Steve received his B.A. in economics from the University of California at Berkeley in 1984. He earned his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in 1988, and was admitted to practice in that year.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1988
- University of California at Berkeley
- B.A. - 1984
- Major: Economics
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- District of Columbia
- Northern California Super Lawyers for Business Litigation and Intellectual Property
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, Member
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- Silicon Valley Association for Startup Entrepreneurs (SVASE)
Current Employment Position